Saturday, August 7, 2010

Expose shows...are they really helpful or are they all hype?

There are more than 3 expose shows in the Philippines. Both major stations have one and well, smaller stations have them on as well.

I get the whole facination people have with them. It's the same way that people are so into "reality shows" because everyone has this need to see other people's lives. It's more real...or so it's what they want us to believe. But unlike most reality shows, expose shows have a goal. To help the less fortunate fight those with obvious powers compared to them...or so that's what they want us to believe.

Don't get me wrong, I believe people should have a place to run to when they have nothing else. I agree with that. But let me explain.

I have watched more than 1 episode of these expose shows. They are interesting. They have a lot of cases that are unique and well, eye opening. But recently I've been given the chance to see one of the expose shows more closely and boy was a surprised.

Expose shows are sensationalized journalism. They get all these complaints and all these pleas for help in a day and they have to respond and do something about it. i get that. But what I don't understand is why they don't do their jobs, find out the truth. That's what journalism is about right? Getting to the bottom of things and understanding it without judgement and bias. But what they do is respond routinely by reporting it to the proper authorities. Yes, that's what is expected of them and that is the right thing to do, but they don't even bother to get the other side of the story. Where's the journalism in that? They should do their jobs and investigate then expose those that need to be exposed. I hope they keep that in mind before they do anything that might harm other people, their reputations or their lives.

But that's just my point of view...

No comments:

Post a Comment